One Board Minutes

Melrose First Baptist Church One Board - Meeting Minutes
January 11, 2018


Present
Linda Buttimer, Martin Rivera, Marlene Szabo, Pam Ross, Karen Rivera, Mary MacDonald, Rob MacDonald, Beverly Schluntz, Pastor Dee Swilling

Meeting was called to order at 6:45 p.m. by Linda Buttimer

Opening Prayer – Rob MacDonald

Review of the 10/19/17 Meeting Minutes: 

Motion to approve Minutes as is made by Rob MacDonald.  Pam Ross seconds the motions.  Group voted unanimously to approve.

Team Reports:

Worship/Spiritual Care Team (W/SC):

The team has officially hired Kelvyn Koning as Music Director.  He has been away during the holidays but will be back on January 21st

Regan Siglund will fill in on January 14th

Annual Report is forth coming.   

Stewardship Team:  

There have been 5 leaks in the heating system this winter, probably, as a direct result of Stoneham Oil bringing the boilers “up to steam” and pushing the correct amount of steam through the pipes to the radiators. 

            2 in the boiler room – one is dripping but only slightly and is not a problem, the other is fixed for the time being. 

            1 in the Youth Room – it has been patched and is holding for now. 

            2 in Chime Time – they are patched but need to be fixed.  Stoneham Oil is helping to find a plumber who can help fix the leaks that need immediate attention. 


½ pallet of ice melt has been purchased from Whittemore’s Hardware and we should be all set. It is in the boiler room. 


In conjunction with the Chime Time sale, Thomas Minneare is working with the Eversource program to evaluate all lighting for update and cost will be 5¢ on the dollar.  He will also look at the electric in the church to see what is needed.


Linda asked if the electric in the Parlor could be checked to make sure that everything is working correctly.  Rob said he would put it on the list.  


June and Rob are working with the Chime Time Transition Team.  There has been some back and forth but they are just about ready to sign and it will be a four-year lease.


Upkeep of the church:  Rob didn’t expect it to be so much and he is spending quite a lot of his time here.  So, the Trustees are working on writing up a description of a property care giver/ sexton for next winter.  In the meantime, Rob will do what needs to be done. 


à the first deposit has been made on the Upham Street doors. It was sent on Dec. 11th for $5,372.38.  It will be 6-8 weeks for the doors to arrive.


When the doors arrive, there will be another $5000 due


The final amount will be due when the job is completed.


Mohinihan Lumber is going to look at the door that the AA uses and see what can be done about that door and what the cost would be.


Linda Buttimer thanked Rob on behalf of the One Board for all of his work this winter working on the upkeep of the church. 


Rob said that sometimes what he is doing is just trying to buy us some time until things like fixing the heating are less expensive (such as in the Spring).


The concern was expressed about the rain Friday night into Saturday morning and then the plummeting temperatures Saturday into Sunday and the need for spreading ice melt on Sunday morning before church.  The cleaning crew will be called to see if they can come and spread ice melt before the service on Sunday morning.  


Treasurer Report:

Church Usage Report:  (please see attached)

Pam doesn’t have a record of receiving something from the Anglican Church.  She said that she would investigate. 

The Shalom Church had a function in the Fellowship Hall and gave an extra $250 on top of their regular $700. 

Melrose Arts & Crafts gave 2 months of rent because of a mix-up in the beginning of the school year and getting a late start.  

The Pentacostal Chruch gave extra payments for 2 functions. 

Parsonage Rental: (see attached)

We received the first tax bill for the parsonage. 

For the 3rd quarter the bill was $3641.46 due Feb. 1

For the 4th quarter the bill was $3641.46 due in May

There was discussion about the fact that those numbers seemed very high.  

The total taxable value was looked up and found to be $642,800. 

The total tax was looked up and found to be $7282.92

Pam said that she call about it and clarify the bill. 

UBS total value as of December 31st = $505,596.81

We have recouped the amount that was withdrawn from the endowment plus ~ $8000

Available interest to be borrowed = $9,505.34

(Please see attached report)

Expense Report: (please see attached)

Spent for December $26,860.07

Rob asked: What about the Fidelity account & the low balance and the fact that we are getting charged a fee as long as we have a low balance?  Response:  Once we get the gift from the Florence Weston estate, it will be deposited into the Fidelity account.


Community Service/Missions:

The team has not met since their last meeting prior to Christmas. 

A check for $100 was sent to Scott Macauley along with a thank you note to help offset his expenses for the Thanksgiving Dinner and to say thank you for all that he does for the church.  He sent the check back to the church along with a note that he gives to the Church; the church does not give to him.  He did, however, graciously accept the thank you note. 

This month is the RMMO collection.  We met our goal last year, so the team is raising the goal for this year.


Christian Growth:

The Living Nativity was very well attended and very well received.  Quite a lot of community members came into the church afterwards to have hot chocolate, cookies and fellowship.

The International Children’s Christmas Pageant went well and was well received.  There were a total of 16 children who participated and the children have already asked if we can do another one. So, we are going to look into doing one around Easter.  It will probably have to be the Sunday before Palm Sunday.


Youth Group:
There is a steady group of 5 teenagers attending Youth Group.  They could use some volunteers to cook meals once a month to help offset the cost of meals. 

The Youth Group is starting a Bible Study series called “Jesus, the Real Life”.


Women’s Ministries:

There is not a January meeting. 

February meeting will be making Valentine’s boxes for College Students and Military personnel. 

There was a question about the donation to the church to be made at the Annual Meeting. 

The Saengerfest (sp?) Concert has been cancelled for this year due to cost and requirements for the program book being too much work at this time.


Food Pantry:

Everything is going well and there are 19 volunteers helping out.  How did we get 19 volunteers? Some just “show up” and we have been praying for all of the volunteers on a regular basis.


Pastoral Search Committee:

There were a total of 42 responses to the survey.  The committee is using those responses in order to create the Church Profile.  They met on Sunday 1/7/18 and will be meeting on 1/18/18.


New Business:

The Pastoral Search Committee made a proposal for a Full-time Settled Pastor.  The Trustees had met and proposed a 3/4-time position for 30 hours with a little wiggle room on the package.  Discussion was had about the fact that the “wiggle room” will not give the prospective candidate much confidence in our offer.


Pastor Dee suggests that we:

1.) offer the parsonage because it will save us taxes and the rental value of $36,000 can be added to the package and not cost us any more money.  It should also be offered with no utilities.  The family should be in charge of their own utilities. 

2.) develop a package for a Full time Pastor and not barter with them.  Offer what we can pay and don’t worry about “wiggle room”.  Just give them what we can offer.  We’d love to offer more, but this is our best offer and we would like to offer it to you. 

“When you are hiring a pastor, you are hiring a life and, hopefully, a family.”

3.) set up a 3 year contract for a set salary and have a review before that contract is up. 

4.) Possibly borrow $7000 out of the endowment each year in order to make the offer more attractive. 

There was discussion about the pastor needing to live IN Melrose or just over the town line in a neighboring community. 

The Trustees were asked to revisit the issue and come up with a firm dollar figure for a full-time pastor. 

We are looking for someone with a strong call.  Also, as an additional incentive, we could offer an extra week’s vacation.  That wouldn’t cost us anything and it makes the offer more attractive.


At the Annual Meeting: 

We will vote on the budget as is and then, once the Trustees have worked out a package and bring it back to the One Board, we will call another congregational meeting to vote on an amended budget that will include the package for a full-time pastor.


Quorum # for voting purposes: 

Page 3 in the By-laws currently reads: 

“At any meeting of the members of this church a quorum for the transaction of business shall consist of thirty-five members appearing in person, but less than such quorum shall have the power to adjourn any meeting from time to time without further notice until the business of the meeting has been disposed of.”


Pastor Dee said that quorums are usually 25% of active members. 

·       For this Annual Meeting, we have to go by the by-laws as they stand. 

·       In order to change the by-laws on the quorum we need a quorum and then 75% approval. 

·       For the church budget, we need a simple majority to pass it.


We discussed how we need to go about giving “Notice of meetings”.

Motion to revise the quorum figure made by Rob MacDonald.  Second by Marlene Szabo. 

Pastor Dee: you want the quorum to be a percentage so that the number can be fluid with church growth. 

Definition of “Active Member” = gives and/or attends and/or communicates with church. 

“Inactive Member” (on page 2) = does not give/attend/communicate with church for a period of 2 years. 

Suggestion: Quorum should be 25% of active membership.  To change it we will need 75% of the quorum to approve the change. 

Motion to close the discussion: Pam Ross

Second:  Rob MacDonald

Vote: unanimous 

Motion to make an Amendment to FBC Bylaws section 5: Quorum to say: 

“At any meeting of the members of this church a quorum for the transaction of business shall consist of 25% of the active members of the rolls and in order to vote, the member must be in attendance.”

Motion to accept: Rob MacDonald

Second: Mary MacDonald

Vote: unanimous

Motion carries

8:37 p.m. Beverly Schluntz had to leave the meeting. 


Board Insurance:  We are in the process of applying for it.  The cost is ~ $200 per year. 

Rob would like to have it in place before he and June sign off on the Chime Time transaction. 

The requirement is that you just have to let Church Mutual know who is on/off boards on a regular basis.


ANNUAL MEETING

·       Will be held in the Coffee Hour Room

·       Pizza & Salad

·       Ask everyone to bring a dessert

·       Women’s Ministries will provide the paper goods

·       Youth Group will set up on Wednesday evening before with tables and chairs. 

·       At the beginning of the meeting, we need to have a vote to suspend the limitation of 6 years of service and 1 year off on boards.



Next meeting:

The next meeting is scheduled on Wednesday, February 28th at 7:00 p.m. in the Church Library. 

Closing Prayer:  Pastor Dee Swilling


Minutes submitted by: Karen Rivera



Melrose First Baptist Church
One Board - Meeting Minutes

November 29, 2017

Present
Pastor Dee Swilling, Linda Buttimer, Martin Rivera, Marlene Szabo, Pam Ross, Karen Rivera, Mary MacDonald, Rob MacDonald, Lisa Tringali

Opening Prayer

Review of the 10/19/17 Meeting Minutes:  Correction made to previously reported name of Youth Group teaching series, “Splash,” the correct name is “Under Pressure.” 

Motion made by Pastor Dee to approve the Minutes with the above correction.  Karen Rivera seconds the motions.  Group voted unanimously to approve.

Team Reports:

Worship/Spiritual Care Team (W/SC):

The team will be extending an official offer to Kelvyn Koning as the Music Director.  Kelvyn will not be needed for the Christmas Eve evening service because the Woodvale String Quartet will be playing; we will need a pianist for the Christmas Eve morning service.  

Stewardship Team: 

Work continues on various physical improvements around the Church.

The next project will involve introducing fresh air into the Boiler room.


Work is being done to address the heating system and issues, which have included reprogramming the thermostats.

 

Moynihan Lumber gave an estimate of $13,244.76 for new doors in the Upham Street entrance, which includes the frame.  Funds in the Restoration Fund will cover this cost. 
*** Motion made by Karen Rivera to accept the proposal for new doors, Pam Ross seconds the
motion and group unanimously vote to approve.

 

A new grease trap has been setup in the Kitchen’s sink and there is a new commercial size faucet.

 

The two new refrigerators are set up, cost was $1,575.

The other Churches who use our building have been managing their own setups, when needed and then cleaning up after themselves.

J & F is the new cleaning company the Church is using and they have gradually been taking on additional cleaning projects.  In the future, Javier would like to use his own vendor to purchase cleaning supplies.

The team will be working with Pastor Ewens of the Pentecostal Church to draw up a Covenant agreement. 

The team is addressing the Dance studio renters to ensure that they understand the expectation to clear out their bars and mirrors when they are finished using them.   They will also be reminded to take proper care of their mat and make sure any corners that people might trip on be taped down.

 

Pastor Pierre approached the Team about possibly having another Church worship in our building; the Team voted to not move forward with this at this time.

 

Peter Tringali will not be returning in the Spring as the lawn’s caretaker; he has a colleague, Jim Collins who will be taking over.  Jim has done a few projects at the church already and is familiar with the property.

 

Stewardship campaign for pledges continues, there have been about 13 received and the amount of money pledged totals approx. $32,000, which is higher than last year’s amount.

Bain pest control has set up inside and outside traps and there was only one rodent found inside the building.

Treasurer Report:

Total amount in the endowment is $481,139.11.

$10,159.55 is the available interest that we can borrow (without having to pay it back).  $5,000 was borrowed from the principal to pay the quarterly insurance payment.
See attached UBS account balance sheet.

In addition to the $10,000 the Church received from Florence Weston’s estate, we were recently informed that an additional $25,359.96 has been gifted.  Brief discussion held on where to invest this money.  The Church has a Fidelity account that currently has a low balance; if more money were invested into the account, we would avoid the low balance penalty.

See attached Church Usage report:  The Thistle Dance Academy paid for two additional classes.
Melrose Arts & Crafts paid $60 per the Report but is now current with their fees.

Holy Trinity Anglican Church did not meet for a couple of weeks; they are now up to date in their rental fees.

See attached Parsonage Rental Report.

Report distributed with the breakdown of expenditures listed by expense code. 

See attached report provided with a breakdown of income totals for October; total income increased from $9,678.73 in September to $16,779.57 in October.


Community Service/Missions
:

The team met yesterday, 11/28/17.  A total of $1,200  was dispersed to various causes:
$100 was donated to Scott MacAulay to help offset the costs from his Annual Thanksgiving Dinner for the community;
A set of Farberware pots and pans were donated to RESPOND, Inc., which were on sale for just under $60;
$200 was donated to International Ministries;
$200 was donated to new Missionaries from ABC, Vital and Ketly Pierre;
$250 was given to the Church’s Family Fund;
$200 was donated to the Wycliffe Bible translation Christian Missionaries;
$200 was donated to the victims of the hurricane devastation in Puerto Rico;
$100 was donated to Ed Girard of Regional Ministries.

In January 2018, they will start collecting for ABC’s One Great Hour of Sharing -Retired Ministers Offering.

Food Pantry updated:  There were 45 clients who shopped last week and 26 this week.  There were 60 clients who shopped on 11/14th, the day the turkeys were handed out along with the pre-packaged Thanksgiving grocery items.  The team could use more paper and plastic bags for shoppers who don’t come with their own.

Christian Growth:

The team will be looking for a Sunday school teacher to replace Woinshet.

The Living Nativity program is scheduled for 12/2nd - Karen and Mary are working to continue the tradition of providing an excellent program for the community to enjoy.

Karen is working on this year’s Christmas pageant/skit for 12/17th, she has coordinated with the covenant churches to make this a collaborative program.

Youth Group:
The group is making Christmas cards for the shut-ins, students and service men and women.

They are finishing up a teaching series called, “Under Pressure.”  The Youth Group will be joining the Judson Youth group at Kings Bowl in Lynnfield on 12/16th. 

The kids continue to sell the calendars and pocket calendars.  They will be donating a set of Every Day cards to the Church’s card ministry.

Youth Group will be helping decorate the Christmas garland around the Church and will be setting the  Nativity scene up in the sanctuary.

Women’s Ministries:

Discussion held about making coffee in a smaller pot and using an electric tea kettle for hot water.  Having 10 or 12 cups of coffee for Coffee Hour is more efficient than making 25 + cups.

Pastoral Search Committee:

Congregation surveys are still being accepted; currently, 40 have been received.  The team will proceed with the next steps in the process once the surveys are completed.

Discussion held on the development of a Church Profile which will be given to prospective pastoral candidates.  Once a Church profile is created, it will be presented to the congregation (to ensure that the  Church body be fully informed and are aware of what prospective candidates are given).  The profile will be built, based upon the collective data received in the surveys.   Motion made by Pastor Dee that once the Committee creates the Church profile, that it be made available to the entire congregation.  Rob MacDonald seconds the motion and the group unanimously approved.

New Business:

Poinsettia orders are due on Wednesday, 12/6/17.  Discussed having Scott MacAulay set them up on the stage for the Pageant on 12/17th. 

The Advent bulletins have been ordered. 
Pat, Rob and Melissa will put the Advent wreath up.
Advent readers will need to be set up for the next few weeks.

Discussion held about having the Chimes play.  Pam will look into this, time permitting.

Girl Scout group has recently met twice in the Church’s Youth room; will talk to them about having a Scout Day at the Church.

All reports for Annual Meeting are due January 5, 2018.

Next meeting:

The next meeting is scheduled on Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 6:30pm in the Church Library.


Minutes submitted by: Lisa Tringali, Clerk



October 19, 2017

Present
Pastor Dee Swilling, Pat Fish, Linda Buttimer, Martin Rivera, Marlene Szabo, Pam Ross, Mary MacDonald, Lisa Tringali

Opening Prayer

Review of the 9/6/17 Meeting Minutes:  Motion made by Linda Buttimer to approve the Minutes as written.  Pastor Dee Swilling seconds the motions. 

Budget: The Stewardship Team will be meeting on Wednesday night, October 25th to review the 2018 Budget requests and will approve and have their report ready to present to the One Board for approval. 


Team Reports:

Worship/Spiritual Care Team (W/SC):

The team met on October 10th to discuss the 2018 Budget requests.

As a result, the Redevelopment Team will request a line item be added to the 2018 budget in the amount of $100.


We would like to share that we are enthusiastic about the new Bible study, which is every other Wednesday night at the Church at 7pm; there were nine participants in our first week.

Stewardship Team: 
The new refrigerators are being delivered on Friday, 10/20/17.

Stoneham Fuel is now handling all oil needs of the Church.

The new cleaning company will be setting up for Arts & Crafts at the same previous fee.

Renters at the Church have been asked to bring their own trash into the trash room and to break down all boxes.  Also, banana boxes need to be saved (as they are useful for the Fair). 

The month of November is Stewardship month and the team have a special focus on this.

Church Mutual Insurance came out and inspected the furnace, water heater and electric; they were not able to access the water shut-off valve in the Social Hall area at the visit.

The Church Administrator, Pam Ross will be compensated for two more hours per week starting in November.

The team has discussed displaying the Church’s financial information (such as utility bills and regular upkeep of the Church figures) be made available to the entire congregation. 

Treasurer Report:

Total amount in the endowment is $473,050.82

$9,402.76 is the available interest that we can borrow (without having to pay it back).
See attached UBS account balance sheet.

See attached Church Usage report:  The Dance Academy has returned as renters, the Shalom Missionary Church paid the fee for a graduation event ahead of time which brought their rent from $700 to $1,150. The Anglican Church paid for both August and September ($525) and the Pentacostal Church had a Baby Shower ($150 rental) which was added to their monthly rent for a total of $550.

See attached Parsonage Rental Report.
The water bill at the parsonage will be turned over to the responsibility of the renters once a plumber signs off on the energy efficiency in the appliances.

Report distributed with the breakdown of expenditures listed by expense code. 

See attached report provided with a breakdown of income totals for September; total income was $9,678.73.


Community Service/Missions
:

The team met and reviewed their Budget requests for 2018.
One of their hopes is to be able to provide regular support of a Missionary (Kristy Engel would be their selection).

Currently, the Church has surpassed the goal set for the World Missions collection (of $1,000).  The Mission Moment this coming Sunday will talk more about the needs in Puerto Rico.

The kick-off for Operation Christmas Child is Sunday, October 29, 2017.

The Pantry of Hope will be giving out 50 turkeys and 50 Shaw’s gift cards; they will be dispensed the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.  The group will have grocery items pre-packed that go with turkey dinner; this will help things run as smooth as possible. 

They have received a great turnout in additional volunteers and gatekeepers stepping forward.
Marilyn Boynton has been a great asset to the team!

Due to some of the clients displaying disorderly conduct and having an argumentative tone, the Pantry of Hope staff wishes to write up some rules in an attempt to address this recurring issue.  The idea was discussed that a staff person write down the name of the client who is being verbally abusive, complaining or generally unruly and then speak to them 1:1 and let them know that because they had a problem today, their name is being documented and if the problem happens again, they may be asked to not return.  Also, if a client is identified as having a history of abusive or abrasive behavior, it may be a good idea to have them shop alone and then be escorted out individually.  Also, it can be reported to the clients that if the Pantry of Hope cannot report that our clients are satisfied and that overall, we are doing a good job, we may not be able to receive as much food as we do and this is why it is important that we strive to provide the best service to our clients and be able to provide the volume of food to all of our clients equally. 


Christian Growth:

There are five Sunday School teachers this year.

Children’s Moment speakers continue to be arranged ahead of time.

The animals for the Living Nativity in December have been reserved.

The Children’s Library in the Coffee Hour Room has some chairs that could use painting; the idea was discussed to have folks in the congregation do a walk through in various rooms and if they see a need in a particular area, they could then volunteer to do some painting or whatever else may be needed.

Youth Group:

They are in the middle of a teaching series called, “Splash.”  Also, the group will be going on outings once a month which increases community outreach and involvement.  Their most recent outing was to the Conners Farm corn maze.

 

Women’s Ministries:

The Fair is in two weeks; this is a major outreach for our Church and an extension of how we live our lives as Christians and walk in love for our fellow neighbors.

Lots of people have already been assigned to their various stations and duties.  The White elephant room will be set up as usual.  Everyone is asked to help advertise.  A newspaper ad was placed this week to advertise.

Pastoral Search Committee:

There were many questions submitted for the Pastoral Search Committee’s survey to the congregation; by Mary MacDonald, Lisa Tringali, Pastor Dee and Debbie Smallwood.  They committee is working on having the final version of the survey ready by 10/25th and plan to hand it out on Sunday, 10/29th.  The survey will be available online as well as by paper copy.  Deadline for returned surveys is 11/19th.

New Business:

The title for the “Fall Art Appreciation Sunday” will be “Our Creative God.”  Woinshet’s art will be displayed and there will be a tutorial explaining the background of some of her pieces.  This will be part of the service and an example of how we receive and then put into use the spiritual gifts of God. 

 

Next meeting:

The next meeting is scheduled on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 6:30pm in the Church Library.


Minutes submitted by: Lisa Tringali, Clerk




Melrose First Baptist Church One Board - Meeting Minutes

July 20, 2017

Present
Pastor Dee Swilling, Pat Fish, Linda Buttimer, Martin Rivera, Karen Rivera, Marlene Szabo, Pam Ross, Mary MacDonald, Rob MacDonald, Alex Kant, Lisa Tringali

Opening Prayer

Motion made by Marlene Szabo to accept Minutes from the 5/25/17 meeting as written; Pam Ross seconds the motion and Minutes are approved by the majority of the voting members.

Team Reports:

Worship & Spiritual Care Team (W/SC)

Carolyn Lassiter submitted a letter stating that she is stepping down from the W/SC team, the Music Advisory Committee and the Pastoral Search Committee. 

Lisa Tringali is rejoining the team for the year.

Barbara Morash has submitted her letter of resignation as the Church’s Music Director and her last day will be Sunday, July 30, 2017.  Marilyn Boynton will fill in on the piano the first Sunday in August and Jennifer Wright (who has covered for Barbara in the past) will play the second and third Sundays in August and VBS is the last Sunday of the month.   

The team will work diligently to secure a musician for the church and will work with the Stewardship team regarding a salary that fits within the budget.  Pam Ross and Pastor Dee will touch base with Kristyn Taylor regarding the survey results that had recently been sent out from the Music Advisory Committee.



Stewardship

Project update: The new windows (which have screens) have been installed in Fellowship Hall.

The plumber has finished putting in faucets and hot water for the men’s and ladies’ bathrooms in Social Hall and a line was set up which allows the Baptism tub to be easily accessed and filled when needed.  The floor in the men’s bathroom needs to be stripped and waxed.

The team met with the electrician and discussed the different needs around the building, such as a light needing to be fixed in the Youth Group Room and for the sign on Main Street.

There is still the outstanding issue of three windows on the perimeter of the church that are completely rotted out and in need of replacing. 

Chime Time update:  A meeting was held with June Cuttino, Ellen Fox, Rob MacDonald, Marlene Szabo, Linda Buttimer and Pam Beckford:  Pam Beckford and Miss Karen will be retiring next year.  This group made contact with Melrose Daycare who came in and took a tour of the space; they may be interested in renting Chime Time as a second site to their existing one.  They discussed a potential 10-year lease and offering the current staff of Chime Time priority in filling any future positions, needing to replace asbestos tiles, having their own heating system and a possible name change.

The team is discussing the need to have someone appointed to manage all the events taking place at the church (which seem to be increasing).


Treasurer Report

The total amount in the endowment is $451,190.31.
The amount which can be taken out of the cash account is $4,313.69.
$7,400 was borrowed from the principal to cover payroll.

See Rental Report (June 2017) attached.
Rental income was less in June because the Dance Academy does not rent in the summer.
The parsonage is rented and tenants are on time with rent ($2,700)

A check was received for $10,000 from Florence Weston’s estate (with no specifics on how the money is to be used).

There is approximately $18,000 in the Restoration Fund.


Community Service & Missions

The team made a donation of $150 to the Good Samaritan Mission Council, whose main project is the building of the Good Samaritan Hospital in the La Romana Province in the Dominican Republic and they support the programs of this hospital and the Maranatha Church, which includes support with family planning, health care and education.  Sandy Hamilton and Linda Buttimer attended a meeting at the Abington First Baptist Church where they learned about this faith-based Christian organization as well as the woman who organized it.

The Food Pantry account has a little over $32,000 as of 6/30/17.

Brad Hutchinson was contacted by a woman who would like to plan a food drive with proceeds going to the Pantry of Hope-he has been in contact with Linda Buttimer.

There have been some new volunteers to the Food Pantry crew, including June Cuttino, Mila Astakhov  and Pat Fish.

The most recent revenue from “Recycle That” was $693.08.


VBS:
Volunteers started decorating this week and more volunteers are needed. 
They will be advertising:  around town by handing out flyers, in the newspaper and at the Kiosk in front of City Hall (two weeks before VBS starts).
Karen acquired a fabric back-drop and Karen’s mom will be donating posters/back-drop from her Church.
Karen will be going to the Heritage House in Brockton to place an order for VBS supplies.
Pat Fish will bring sandwiches/subs for the last day of VBS.
A list of materials/items that are needed for VBS has been given out with the Sunday bulletin the last couple of weeks for the congregation to help with whatever they can donate or lend.
There have been many inquiries to the office about VBS and so far, three people have registered.  Karen asks that any questions or interested folks be directed to her VBS email address (instead of her personal email).


Christian Growth

Mary MacDonald will be joining the group that does the Children’s Moments.

Woinshet may be interested in being a Sunday school teacher in the Fall; Marjorie and Gabriel will continue with the smaller kids; Lea may not be able to continue next year and Pai-Jing is no longer available. 

There are old tables and chairs in the Sunday school rooms that need cleaning.


Youth Group
Four teenagers (and Meraf) went to Oceanwood camp a couple of weeks ago and had an enriching and wonderful experience in fellowship with other like-minded Christians their age.

The annual car wash and bake sale brought in around $360.

They would like to do a fundraiser at Liberty Bell to help boost the amount of funds available in anticipation of purchasing calendars in the Fall which are then made available to the congregation and others.


Women’s Ministries

There is $300 in scholarships available for any child to go to Oceanwood or Grotonwood camp (so far, one child from church has taken advantage of this).

There were ten women who met at the Church on July 18th to help support (sewing, ironing and cutting patterns) the Little Dresses for Africa and the Dominican Republic mission project.  Kristy Engel (American Baptist missionary) will be visiting the Church on October 1, 2017 and the dresses will be on display in the Coffee Hour room.

In the spring, they’d like to have a program that highlights an outreach program in the community, such as Housing Families in Malden.

In the spirit of church growth, the team would like to submit an article to the Melrose Free Press and Melrose Weekly newspapers that would concentrate on different events and activities going on at the Church (to spread the word into the community with information on mission-oriented projects).

The Saengerfest Men’s Chorus is scheduled for May 2018.
There will be an organizational meeting for the Church Fair on August 2,2 017 to talk about coordinating and donations, etc.

The church will communicate that we would like to have a display at the Victorian Fair with a canopy and a banner set up, this is held on September 10, 2017 from 11am-4pm.  The church will have information to hand out about the church as well as giveaways and activities like last year.



Pastoral Search Committee

The team continues to meet and is very dedicated to this process.  They connected with the Green Street Baptist Church’s search committee as well as Jeff Lavoie who have offered their assistance.

A first draft of the Church’s history has been written up and the team is working on putting together a survey.

Pastor Dee has been helpful with different insights and has added a different perspective (fresh set of eyes).

As a result of Carolyn Lassiter no longer being on the committee, Sandy Hamilton has filled this vacancy (as the person who had the second most votes) and she has attended two meetings thus far.


New Business

Barbara Morash submitted her letter of resignation with a two-week notice (last day is 7/30/17).  The W/SC team accepted her resignation regrettably and has offered to be a reference for the future.

We will have a special prayer time of thankfulness and well wishes on her last Sunday. Barbara has communicated that she needs to leave right after she is done playing on her last Sunday; the Church will honor this request.  The congregation will give her a gift certificate in the amount of $100, which will be taken from the Discretionary Fund.

The idea of having an Art Appreciation Sunday in the Fall was discussed as there is lots of creativity in the congregation and this may attract people to come visit the Church.  Woinshet is an artist and has displayed her art in galleries and would like to share her gift.  We could have special music during Worship and then a reception afterwards.  The date of 10/22/17 has been tentatively set and will be called “Gifts Sunday-Celebrating the Gifts Among Us.”

Discussed having Sunday Worship on the front lawn and the One Board agreed that this is a great idea; we could do it on Rally Day, September 17th and could invite the other Churches (Shalom Missionary, Emmanuel Anglican and the Pentecostal Church) to join.  We could call this “Covenant Rally Day.”  The W/SC Team would be responsible for organizing.  This would be a great way to display our desire to invite and welcome the community to join us in Worship.  People could go into the Church after the service to enjoy food and beverages. 

Christmas Eve falls on a Sunday this year and service would be at 7pm (no Service on Christmas day, Monday).

Reinstating inactive members was discussed.  The Bylaws covers this topic (Article I, Section 4).  Establishing a policy was discussed, which would cover the scenario of someone returning to the Church (after being away for several years) as it is important that the individual reconnect with the Body of the Church, especially before joining teams or committees.  This will be re-visited at the next One Board meeting.   A draft of said policy would state: “To keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace, if a member leaves the fellowship, there will be a period of 12 months before they would be eligible for a position on a team.  Following the year of re-commitment, they would be interviewed by the Pastor and the W/SC team and if approved, be welcome to serve.”   


Next Meeting

The next meeting is scheduled on Thursday, September 7, 2017 at 6:30pm in the Church Library.

Minutes submitted by: Lisa Tringali, Clerk